18 Things To Know About Ethiopian-Israeli Rapper Eden Derso
Eden Derso is amazing. Seriously. The 21-year-old Ethiopian-Israeli rapper recently broke through with a profile in American Vogue, and since then, we haven’t been able to stop listening to her music.
So, here are 18 things to know about this soon-to-be superstar:
1. Is it Eden Derso, Eden Dersso, or Eden Darso? English-language publications can’t seem to decide, but we’re going with Eden Derso, the spelling that makes most sense when you translate עדן דרסו (her name in Hebrew). (Even though her Instagram is @edendersso, on Spotify and Apple Music she’s “Eden Derso.”)
2. She was born and raised in Rehovot, a city south of Tel Aviv, Israel. Her family immigrated from Ethiopia in 1992.
3. She is the youngest of seven children; she has five older brothers and one older sister.
4. “I am the youngest rapper [in Israel], so I always talk about it. I always rap that I am better than a man because they need to know. They need to know that a girl can do it better than them, and they don’t,” she told Vogue. “They expect me to come out sounding like Beyoncé, but I’m more like Tupac. And then I spit, I spit my heart out.”
5. She often performs while wearing a fanny pack (which… #goals)