Mina de maza (Sephardi matzoh pie)
Preparation time less than 30 mins
Cooking time 30 mins to 1 hour
400g/14oz fresh spinach
100g/3½oz feta cheese, crumbled
100g/3½oz grated Kashkeval and Pecorino or parmesan cheese
25g/1oz dill, finely chopped
salt and freshly ground black pepper
1 tbsp oil
5 sheets matzoh (Jewish unleavened Passover ‘bread’, available at most supermarkets)
1. Preheat the oven to 180C/350F/Gas 4.
2. Briefly steam the spinach until it just starts to wilt. Drain well and roughly chop.
3. Beat one of the eggs and mix with the spinach, both cheeses, dill, salt and pepper. Set aside.
4. Brush a 25cmx20cm/10inx8in ovenproof dish with the oil to coat. Place in the oven to heat for a few minutes.
5. Soak the whole matzoh in warm water briefly until soft and pliable but not mushy. Drain and pat dry on kitchen paper.
6. Remove the dish from the oven and cover the bottom with a whole matzoh and pieces of another matzoh broken to fill the gaps.
7. Spread with the spinach filling, then cover with the remaining matzoh. Beat the other egg and pour over the top of the pie.
8. Bake for 45 minutes until the top is lightly browned, and serve warm.