Savory and Spicy Vegan Hamantaschen
Easy to make vegan, lightly spiced, crispy, savory, and nutty pea hamantaschen.
Enjoy these vegan, easy to make, lightly spiced, crispy, savory, and nutty pea hamantaschen this Purim. Serve as a side dish or appetizer at a festive holiday feast.
- 2 cups flour
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 tsp turmeric powder
- ½ cup cold and solid vegan butter
- 1/2 cup chilled water
- 1– 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 tsp ginger, minced
- ½ tsp turmeric
- 1 tsp sugar
- 1 tsp curry powder
- 1 tsp consume or salt
- ½ tsp cardamom
- ½ tsp paprika
- 1 cup green peas
- ⅓ cup cashews lightly crushed or chopped
- ½ cup coconut milk
- In a food processor, add flour, salt, turmeric, and curry. Either stir until mixed thoroughly or blend.Quickly chop vegan butter into small pieces and add to the blender.Add ½ cup chilled water and blend. As the dough begins to form and become too heavy to blend, remove from the blender and knead until homogeneous and soft. Wrap in saran wrap and rest in the refrigerator for at least an hour.
- Saute diced onion on medium heat until it begins to become translucent, about 4-5 min. Add minced garlic and ginger and continue to cook for about 2 min. Add turmeric, sugar, curry, consume, cardamom, and paprika. Stir until fragrant.Incorporate green peas and cashew into the oily, onion and spice mixture. Saute for 3-5 min.Add ½ cup coconut milk and simmer for 5-10 min, stirring frequently. Remove from heat and allow to cook fully. Cover and place in the refrigerator for about an hour to ensure the heat of the peas do not interfere with the texture of the dough.
- Preheat oven to 400.On a lightly floured surface, roll dough out to thinner than ⅛ inch thickness. Work hastily to prevent the dough from overheating and becoming greasy.Cut dough into circles using a cookie cutter or the rim or a drinking glass. Spoon about 2 teaspoons of peas into the center of each one circle. Pinch the edges to form three corners and place on a lightly oiled baking sheet.Bake for 25 min at 400.